February 28, 2012

And So It Begins...

Well, Sunday night I was up all night with very painful contractions and cramps.  From 3am on, I could not go back to sleep because I was so uncomfortable. I truly thought I was probably in labor. At 6am, I called the on call midwife to see if I could come in right when they opened at 8am rather than my 11:40am appointment that I already had.  I took 3 hot baths from 10pm Sunday night to 7am Monday morning to try and stop the contractions. Finally, they slowed down some and the pain went away, so I decided to go to work as usual Monday morning and wait for my 11:40 appointment.  Mom drove down to go to the appointment with me where we found out that I was dilated to 2cm and 50% effaced.  Of course, we learned that I could go into labor soon or it could still be several weeks. However, with all the painful contractions from the previous night, my mom didn't seem to think I would last past this weekend. They did the group B strep test at my appointment yesterday and we won't get the results back for 3 days after the test. My midwife informed me that I would have to have IV antibiotics during labor if I went into labor before the test results were back just in case they happened to be positive. I really don't want to have antibiotics during labor, and I really want baby Owen to stay inside and grow a little while longer, so we're just praying that he waits a few more days. I'll be 37 weeks on saturday, which is considered "full-term." Of course, the longer he stays inside the better, but I'm just hoping & praying for nothing to happen until at least Saturday.

Then this morning I lost my "plug." Again, I know that some women lose it and still go a few days to weeks before labor begins; however, because of all the contractions I've been having, I'm not so sure it will be a few weeks. I honestly doubt it. Some people say that you go like your mom did, and my mom went into labor within 24 hours after she lost hers. Praying that's not the case for me! I've been on the couch all day today to try and prevent labor as much as possible. I know that I'm not the one in control, that ultimately it's up to the Lord when He decides to let this baby come into the world. As much as I want to try to control the situation, I'm trying my hardest to "Let Go & Let God." I spent some time praying today and was just reminded that everything is going to be okay. God loves this baby more than I do. Of course I think it's too early to have this baby since I'm only 36 weeks (3.5 weeks from my due date), but I'm choosing to trust the Lord with all of this. I honestly have to continually give the situation back to the Lord over and over again as I find myself wanting to take it back into my own hands. 

Precious Owen has just been kicking away inside my womb, and I cannot get enough of his movements. I love putting my hand on my stomach and feeling his little feet through my stomach. I can't wait to grab those feet and kiss them after he comes out. I'm in love with this baby boy, and I am so looking forward to meeting him when that time comes.

I would definitely appreciate all of your prayers for baby Owen.

Love to you all!


  1. Awww I'm sending prayers your way! Take care today and try and get some rest! Hopefully baby Owen will too - :)

    1. Thanks so much! I REALLY appreciate your prayers! Last night I was having such bad contractions that I thought we were going to have a leap year baby, but I took an hour and a half hot bath, which calmed things down thankfully. How are YOU doing? Are you on bedrest?

  2. Oh goodness... I'm just now reading this post and hoping little Owen hasn't made his debut yet! Prayers for you guys!

    1. Hi Anna, He didn't come yet! Yay! I honestly thought he would be here by now. But I'm 37 weeks now, so it's officially safe for him to come whenever he decides. Crazy! I'm nervous/excited about his big debut. I hope you're feeling well during your pregnancy! Just saw your blog! Adorable!